Saturday, January 31, 2009

Classic Victor: "Shedding some light on 'The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia'"

Since I'm actually on my way out in a little bit and it looks like I won't be able to fill my usual 10 post monthly quota with two more completely original entries, I figured I'll do what all the big television networks do: throw in some re-runs.

Did you know that since the conclusion of my landmark "100 Posts, 100 Typos" retrospective back in June, I have written over 70 entries that never received the benefit of a proper retrospective? Now, while it's unlikely I'll muster up enough enthusiasm to do another month long tribute to the second hundred posts, I figured I can still milk a few for reruns anytime I feel like I've run a bit short at the end of the month (and believe me these moments will be more than infrequent). Like the old 90s NBC slogan said "If you haven't see it, it's new to you"!

So out of the Victor vaults, originally run way back on August 25, 2008 it's:

Shedding some light on "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"

This was the culmination of my long time personal project to attempt to create an easy to understand breakdown of the complex murder/revenge story that is Vicki Lawrence's "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia". I originally intended it to be even more elaborate with a set of drawn schematic diagrams to give a better visualization of the characters and their movements and actions throughout the song. However, budget restraints and general apathy held me back to a standard written breakdown. To this day, many consider it to be the definitive blog post breakdown of the song....written by someone named Victor.

No comments:

Post a Comment