Saturday, May 23, 2009

That Darn Cat!


I'd like to consider myself to be pretty savvy when it comes to pop culture fads. I try not to be careless with whatever new mass pop culture phenomena comes along whether it's movies, music, TV, or the internet. Especially the internet. With the constantly changing ephemera of the web, it really takes something special to break through all the noise of half baked memes, goofy viral videos, and shallow social network applications to really reach me. With that being said, I have to admit after much skepticism, I am totally sold on the Keyboard Cat.

The Keyboard Cat scene is completely mesmerizing and hypnotic all to itself. The initial moment of hesitation before the first notes, the repetitive and synthetic Wesley Willis drums and keyboard melody, the totally unnatural manipulation of the cat's front paws, the complete disconnect between the cat's facial expression and his manipulated front paws, it all adds up to a memorable pop culture scene. However, what really takes the clip into rarefied air are the amazing juxtapositions it has with other clips of failure. It acts as a brilliantly absurd rim shot to the universe of failure documented via video by the internet (and it's about a million times better than that stupid FAIL meme). It also basically resets every famous internet clip that has come before it.

It works with everything from:
All I've got to say is move over "Asleep", there's a new concluding song for my funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment