Monday, January 30, 2012

Addendum!


This is an extremely belated addendum, but I figured it was better late than never (also I can't really pass up an opportunity to pad my overall numbers with a quick and easy blog post; I have a quota to to maintain, you know). Back in late August of last year I posted my harrowing tale of surviving my first earthquake experience and the eerie coincidence that at the time of the quake I had the lost 80's New Wave gem "The Earthquake Song" by the Little Girls utterly trapped in my head since hearing it for the first time the previous week. Of all the silly, at times weirdly morbid, lyrics cheerily belted out by the Little Girls my favorite line is when they state that (in reference to the earthquake): "It's gonna kill my mom and dad/They were the only folks I've had/But they better not blame me/'Cause it's not my fault".

It's a wonderfully ridiculous line that sets the tone of the entire song; a devastating disaster seen through the surreal perspective of a carefree Southern California teen with wildly divergent priorities. Now, maybe I'm just thick and this is totally obvious to everyone else but I just realized today that the "it's not my fault" verse is a subtle play on the earthquake theme of the song (you know, like fault lines?). I can't tell if it's intentional or not but if it is I have to say it's an exceedingly clever line (and if it's not, it's a happy accident). Either way it makes me like the song all that much more.




P.S.: I also sincerely apologize for getting "The Earthquake Song" in your head (or back in your head again for previous readers). If you're anything like me, this insidiously fun tune will be firmly entrenched in your consciousness for at least the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment